The holidays can be a stressful time if you are stuck preparing a grand meal in the kitchen. One dish you can’t miss, though, is dessert. And, if you want a quick and easy dessert, just look for a good Christmas crack recipe.
Simple Recipes for Christmas Crack for the Holidays
Christmas crack, also known as saltine toffee, is a popular holiday treat. Because it is easy to prepare, it makes for a great last-minute dessert or just a sweet snack. It is also a versatile treat since you can customize it with the toppings of your choice. And most recipes use the same four ingredients as a base.
Interestingly, Christmas crack gets its name from its addictive quality — it is impossible to just eat one. It is also a snack made for all ages, which means kids and adults alike will definitely enjoy it.
If you are looking for the perfect Christmas crack recipe, here are some of the best ones to choose from.
Sweet treats are great, but you can add a layer of depth by mixing salt in with your caramel sauce. Make it even more fragrant with vanilla extract, too. For a truly delectable Christmas crack recipe, these vanilla and salted caramel-topped crackers are your best bet.
- 28-35 saltine crackers
- 2 cups chopped semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Line a pan or baking sheet with aluminum foil. Make sure to line the bottom and sides of the pan or sheet completely. Spray the foil-lined sheet with cooking spray.
- Line the saltine crackers in a single layer.
- In a saucepan, cook the butter, brown sugar, and salt together, stirring regularly. Once melted, cook for another 3 to 5 minutes until smooth. Do not boil for more than 30 seconds. Once smooth, remove from heat and add the vanilla extract.
- Pour the brown sugar caramel over the lined saltine crackers. Coat the crackers evenly.
- Bake the crackers in the oven for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 1 minute.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, add the semi-sweet chocolates. Heat in the microwave at 30-second intervals, stirring after each interval, until fully melted.
- Pour the melted chocolate over the baked saltine crackers in an even layer.
- Allow the crackers to come to room temperature before chilling in the refrigerator overnight.
- The next day, remove the crackers from the pan and peel off the foil. With a knife, cut the crackers into smaller sizes before placing them in an airtight container.
Sometimes, the simplest snacks are the best ones. And if you need the simplest Christmas snack of them all, look no further. For a really easy recipe for Christmas crackers, four ingredients are all you need. Then, just customize them with your toppings of choice.
- 40 saltine crackers
- 1 cup butter, unsalted or salted
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 pack chocolate chips, milk or semi-sweet
- Toppings of choice, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a baking sheet with nonstick aluminum foil. If you’re using regular aluminum foil, spray it with cooking spray. Place the crackers in a single layer on the lined baking sheet.
- Melt the brown sugar and butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Once it boils, lower the heat to medium and let it simmer for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Pour the brown sugar sauce over the crackers to coat them completely and evenly. Place in the oven and bake for 5 minutes. Once done, take them out of the oven and sprinkle the chocolate chips over the top.
- Set aside for 1-2 minutes to let the chocolate soften. Then, using an offset spatula, spread the softened chocolate over the top. If not soft enough to spread yet, bake it in the oven again for a minute.
- Sprinkle toppings over the top, if desired. Popular topping choices include nuts, M&Ms, and white chocolate chips.
- Let the crackers chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours. Remove the foil and then break it into pieces.
Another Christmas cracker recipe you and your guests will absolutely love is this toffee and white chocolate number. It may be sweet, but who doesn’t like a sweet treat every now and then?
- 1 pack chocolate chips (about 12 oz), dark, semi-sweet, or milk
- A sleeve of saltine crackers
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- White chocolate, melted
- Toffee bits
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray. Place the crackers on the sheet and set aside.
- Melt the brown sugar and butter in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Allow to cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Once smooth, pour the mixture over the crackers.
- Bake in the oven for 5 minutes. Once done, remove from the oven and top with chocolate chips. Set aside to let the chocolate soften. Then, using the back of a spoon, spread the softened chocolate chips over the top.
- Sprinkle toffee bits and drizzle with melted white chocolate.
- Place in the refrigerator and let it chill for at least 2 hours. Cut the crackers into pieces before serving or storing them in an airtight container.
The Final Word
The holidays are some of the coldest yet warmest times of the year. Gathering with friends and family over the dinner table is a great way to spend Christmas. If you want to end your holiday dinner with a blast but with minimal effort, go for a Christmas crack recipe that will truly impress. While Christmas crack is something you can do with only a few ingredients, the beauty of them is that you can use any toppings you want for endless possibilities.
- HOA Holiday Events: Community Activities For Everyone To Enjoy
- HOA Holiday Decorations: What Rules To Enforce?
- 7 Fast And Easy Thanksgiving Salad Recipes